Eddie Jobson Forum

Eddie Jobson Forum

Eddie Jobson.com       Globe Music         Fan Database

Feel free to browse any thread, however, if you wish to participate in a discussion, you must first register. You can register by going to 'Log In' and hitting the 'Need a Login? Register Here' link.
 Log In  |  Topic List  |  New Topic  |  Threaded View  |  Search   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Did You Know That.......?
Author: webmaster 
Date:   06-29-06 15:44

I have seen it written several times that "we don't really know much about Eddie personally"..... so I thought you might enjoy knowing about other items of personal and music-related trivia; let's start the list with:

Did you know that... Eddie's dad is a member of MENSA? That he has an older brother, Stanley, who is a former rocket scientist for British Aerospace(no connection with Hugh Jackman's computer-hacker character, Stanley Jobson, from "Swordfish"!). He also has two older sisters, Ann, a former mathematics teacher who now works for the British government; and Margaret, the top linguist in the German government.

Reply To This Message

Re: Did You Know That.......?
Author: Yasu 
Date:   06-29-06 16:52

Great! A genius family!His parents educated their sons and daughters very well.

Reply To This Message

Author: Helen 
Date:   06-29-06 22:08

Thank you Webmaster! All of that comes as no surprise of course. Eddie no doubt has all of those mathematical, scientific and linguistic abilities too. Thank goodness the musical ability won!

Reply To This Message

Author: gogo 
Date:   06-29-06 22:23

....really neat ! Thank you!

Eddie's Dad is excellent.
I have total respect for Eddie's dad.
--------------------------------------------------------------
It is an interesting point,
how little is known about Eddie personally.

Totally cool.

All I really ever want to know is
that Eddie is happy and having a good time.

love to everyone

gogo

Reply To This Message

Date:   06-29-06 22:24

Did you know that... Eddie taught Kevin Spacey how to pretend to play the guitar?

Reply To This Message

Date:   06-29-06 22:27

Ok, now THAT is cool.

gogo

Reply To This Message

Date:   06-29-06 22:45

So that means Eddie plays the guitar too? I'm sure there's nothing that he cannot play!

Thank you Webmaster, this is getting better by the second!

Helen

Reply To This Message

Date:   06-29-06 22:51

....for sure !!!!!!
Eddie played guitar with Fat Grapple when he was 16........
The only thing he can't play is the shoe horn. :-)

....this from from: 44 west (44west@hitter.net)
http://www.united-mutations.com/j/eddie_jobson.htm
......most interesting of them was a multi instrumentalist introduced as "the beautiful edwin". it was eddie jobson of course, unknown at the time. he was great, and even though the whole band was very good, he stole the show, playing with enthusiasm like i'd never seen before. he played mostly violin, but also guitar, accordian and keyboards. the crowd went nuts, wouldn't let them leave the stage, they seemed to run out of material and i'm sure they played the complete set again just to keep everybody happy.................

gogo

Post Edited (06-29-06 22:59)

Reply To This Message

Author: KillMyMusic 
Date:   06-29-06 23:19

Quote:

Did you know that Eddie taught Kevin Spacey how to pretend to play the guitar?

LOL! For which movie?

Reply To This Message

Author: peter2 
Date:   06-30-06 02:06

Beyond the sea?

Reply To This Message

Author: Dusty 
Date:   06-30-06 05:17

Yowsa! Impressive!! (What's MENSA? - just jokin')

And his brother was a rocket scientist?? Family get-togethers must be fascinating. Worthy of a documentary...

Reply To This Message

Author: benonemusic 
Date:   06-30-06 09:27

What's interesting to me is that math and music, and music and language, are often proposed to be interrelated abilities, and (perhaps as a bit of evidence?) Eddie's family excels in all of these specific areas!

Reply To This Message

Date:   06-30-06 09:57

You must be right..... Eddie's dad was an English teacher who played the piano, and Eddie's son - a cellist - recently won the school French award.

Speaking of schools:

Did you know that Eddie was 'Head Boy' of his junior school (age 10)?

Most of us don't know what that means, but those brought up on the British school system will understand.

Reply To This Message

Date:   06-30-06 10:50

Kevin Spacey played a folk singer/guitarist in a Robert De Niro produced mini-series called "Tribeca." It was Eddie's first TV scoring gig and the Spacey episode was scored with just acoustic guitar and electric violin.

The executive producer David Burke also managed to persuade EJ to dress-up in 1960's disguise and do a cameo appearance as a 'bad folk singer/guitarist' to set up Mr. Spacey's super-talented character.

Reply To This Message

Date:   06-30-06 10:54

Wow, Eddie playing a bad musician? Now that involves some real acting ability!

Post Edited (06-30-06 11:06)

Reply To This Message

Date:   06-30-06 10:55

.........good one Ben!............Ok, I saw the words 'electric violin'.............."Tribeca." .....anyone have a copy of this.............PLEEEEEEEEEEZE.........................

love

gogo

Post Edited (06-30-06 11:45)

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-01-06 12:48

Did you know that.... the few times that Eddie played guitar with Zappa, he played the Stratocaster that Hendrix set fire to at the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967!?

After Frank died, his son Dweezil inherited the guitar -- which he auctioned off a couple of years ago.

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-02-06 14:23

Did you know that... Eddie's mother taught, part-time, at Eddie's high school?

(In 1997, the year that EJ describes as "easily the worst year of my life..." his beloved mother passed away from brain cancer -- the same week as Princess Diana and Mother Teresa.)

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-02-06 21:46

Eddie playing a Stratocaster! The image of that ... almost too much to bear!

Thank you for all of this wonderful information Webmaster! I'm sure none of us will ever tire of hearing all these things about Eddie!

I'm sorry to hear about the death of his mother though, and about 1997 being such a bad year for him. Eddie is human too after all (though it doesn't always seem that way!), and suffers pain the same as everybody else. However, he has us, and we'll always be there for him in whatever way possible.

Nine years later, but I feel belatedly sad for him now. Eddie, you deserve nothing but joy and peace in your life, and I hope it's all been restored for you.

Helen

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-03-06 03:38

In 1997, I haven't known the fact.I am very sorry to hear of it.
Some say Princess Diana and Mother Teresa may have some spiritual relations.Suzanne Ciani made a tune for Mother Teresa.

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-03-06 12:19

Did you know that... around the age of 15, EJ played trombone in a brass band and also the 'sackbut' parts in a medieval music ensemble where he occasionally also played crumhorn and recorder.

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-04-06 00:10

My brain is going to explode soon! There's too much to Eddie for one brain to accommodate. But please don't stop Webmaster! All of this is totally wonderful to know!

Reply To This Message

Author: Peter De Craemer 
Date:   07-04-06 00:44

Maybe it's time for the webmaster to start writing the biography of EJ...

Peter

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-04-06 12:18

I'm not sure how long I can keep hounding EJ for tid-bits of his life's trivia.............. however:

Did you know that Eddie's first job was playing piano for a girl's weekly ballet class. He says it paid a lot more than his friends' paper routes and it also "had its perks."

His second job (during the same time period) was playing piano, off-stage, for a play in the theater run by his father. For this, he had to join the British Musicians' Union --- making him the youngest member of the union.

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-05-06 00:27

............Very much excellent.

I love the EJ playing guitar with Zappa bit.
Did not know that. Too cool.

Dweezil found that guitar under the studio stairs in the Zappa house, asked Frank about it, (and this was when Frank hadn't played guitar for a few years), Frank explained it's history, and said that Dweezil could have it.

I think the fact alone that Eddie played it live makes it pretty cool too.

Hey,
You ever hear about Fripp meeting Hendrix, and Jimi had his right arm in a sling and said "shake my left hand, it is closer to my heart."

------------------

Also, Helen, your words about the year 1997, beautiful, thank you, I share in with your sentiment and spirit.

I found 1997 was a crappy year as well.
I dont need to see that one again.

The best year is the one RIGHT NOW.
Right?

--------------------------

WEBMASTER
Great fun!
Thanks !
I like the early gig stuff.
My first $ gig was playing organ at ice hockey games when I was 13.
I mean, how Canadian is that ?

love

gogo

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-05-06 00:38

I forget about the bad years, that keeps me young... ;-)

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-05-06 02:33

I agree Gogo - 2006 so far has been fantastic! And for me - quite honestly -all thanks to this forum! It's brought me a whole new world of Eddie, the Webmaster and wonderful people!

It's no longer a schlepp to get out of bed, because I can't wait to get up and go see who has written what on the forum!

Thank you everybody!

Helen

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-05-06 04:39

This in between - I just heard on the news that the temperature in California is rising above 40 ... must be very painfull for the webmaster to
react to our posts...

Peter

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-05-06 05:15

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-05-06 05:51

I prefer one with 3 balls, Milly...

Peter

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-05-06 05:58

For you I double your wish :-)))

Or click here and 'enter' the URL.

Post Edited (07-05-06 12:52)

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-05-06 13:40

Thanks, I needed that. It has been hitting the 100*(F)+ mark recently.......... maybe that's why the forum has been ON FIRE this week!!

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-06-06 13:01

Quote:

(In 1997, the year that EJ describes as "easily the worst year of my life..."

Surely there must have been a 'best year of his life' too? Which was it and why?

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-06-06 20:58

...my guess?
The best year, 2006.
NOW is always the best, I would hope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like it too!

love Gogo
PS, record-breaking HEAT in British Columbia...........

gogo

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-06-06 21:14

Oh, and Eddie playing guitar with his first rock band at 16...........

He could as easily have gone with that.
Be the big 1970s guitar player rock star.

No offence to wonderful guitar players, but I am happy that Eddie stayed with the violin, despite it not being a trend to follow..........................

gogo

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-09-06 16:57

Did you know that... Eddie's grandmother was a Quaker?

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-09-06 18:03

...note to lyric critics,
My track on the Eddie Jobson tribute CD was written and recorded
BEFORE that last piece of info was posted..........................

love

gogo

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-09-06 23:24

Quote:

Did you know that... Eddie's grandmother was a Quaker?

So the "Jobson cookies" brand wouldn't have been such a bad idea after all... ;-)

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-14-06 11:07

Did you know that Eddie recorded (and coached) Cindy Crawford in her first 'voice-over' for a commercial?

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-15-06 15:29

Did you know that... although Eddie has been a member or guest with several big groups, he has been approached by many more......

A partial list would include: T-Rex, Cockney Rebel, Yes (1974), David Bowie (Diamond Dogs), Gillan, Rainbow (we know that story!), Kansas, Whitesnake, Supertramp, Cinema (aka Yes "90125"), Procul Harem and others.....

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-16-06 06:56

Maybe we could invite the webmaster for a weekend to come over and we could write a book of EJ called " Things you always wanted to know but were afraid to ask "

Peter

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-17-06 05:52

Thanks, Webmaster. I agree with Peter! This is really providing a more complete picture of Eddie's professional career for us! Your examples demonstrate that Eddie has been an influential behind-the-scenes force in commercial music and sound.

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-17-06 08:25

Kansas !!!!!!!
This one stands out, being an actual American group. :-)

The violinist who did take the Kansas gig, (David Ragsdale) in the 1990s, did a wonderful job, and I found that he was far more Jobsonish with his glissandos than the music had previously enjoyed. Excellent !

The BIG problem with Eddie, or anyone great playing with an establishded band, is that there is a big shadow hanging over them the whole time. No matter what the new guy contributes, there is always going to be that big old cloud. The musician can give 100% and the first thing he hears from an audience member (besides "can I have your shirt?") is..........drum roll here too please..........."ARE YOU AN ORIGINAL?"

And how do you answer that? "yes, mother only made one......No. I am a photocopy.........No, Robby Steinhardt helped form Kansas, is greatly associted with their image, and perhaps someday will be back to make this a more complete and satisfying concert experience for you." You could play for Kansas for the next 30 years and still have people ask why you don't have the beard. People mean well, I'm sure, but they often miss the actual moment where they are NOW.

Totally decent of Kansas for showing what great taste and confidence they have in inviting Eddie to join their fantastic group, and they realy are one of the worlds great great live acts, but Eddie Jobson is WAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY better off writing and playing his own music. Always. Period. He is nobody's second fiddle, never had been, never need to be.

And, I bet there are 800 other bands and singles that have thought to ask Eddie Jobson to join their trip, but were afraid to live in HIS shadow.

...don't get me going here........

love

gogo

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-17-06 08:30

I'm interested in why he has turned down those offers.

Reply To This Message

Author: JF 
Date:   07-17-06 10:53

Did you know that... there is a picture of Eddie's hands at the keyboards (a reverse image taken from the gatefold sleeve of "Viva! Roxy Music) in the booklet from the King Crimson live 4 cd boxset "The Great Deceiver"?

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-20-06 22:44

Hey JF.... thanks for that contribution!

I saw the accordian in one of Gogo's cartoons, so I checked.... and...

Did you know that... Eddie briefly played an accordian with Fat Grapple that was given to him by an uncle. A friend of another uncle also once gave him a banjo, and his grandfather gave him a harmonica! The Gibson-copy guitar he played in FG he bought (at 15) with his ballet-class earnings.

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-27-06 16:36

Did you know that... Eddie had a three-piece band in high school called "Matrix and Potter". They covered Cream, Fairport Convention, and ELP tunes...... in fact, the last time EJ performed for the school assembly (right before leaving at 16 and joining Fat Grapple)... instead of the expected classical piece, he brought in his buddies and played ELP's "Take a Pebble" and East of Eden's "Jig-a-Jig" which brought the house down. The school music teacher walked out in disgust.

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-27-06 22:47

......Ok, Jig -a-Jig ! there it is!
The tune the Fats opened with........
Great story! Really fun!
"Take a Pebble!" Radical !
love
Gogo

gogo

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-28-06 12:30

Gogo's cartoon reminded me:

Did you know that... Eddie's first house on the Caribbean island of Montserrat was completely destroyed by a tornado in the eye of Hurricane Hugo. EJ had been called away to Los Angeles, and was in New York on route back when the Hurricane hit.

The house he moved into was later rendered uninhabitable when the volcano on nearby Chances Peak erupted (after being dormant for 11,000 years).

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-28-06 12:43

Yes, we did know that (well, the first part) ;-):

http://www.eddiejobson.com/forum/read.php?f=1&i=799&t=772#reply_799

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-28-06 13:16

A tornado and a volcano ?
There could be a silly song there:

THE LAVA LAMP PARTY

Old Mother Goose Nature, she really don't care
if George Martin has to come up for some AIR
We like that tropical breeeeeezze in our hair
givin' me a hairdoo of no compare

And Aint it a New York kinda pitty
that Eddie got called back into the big city
and missed the cosmic Tornado ! Volcano !
Poor old Flambeau bungalow

Insurance companies don't always see
with eyes of God, no sympathy
let's hope those plexi violins don't start to melt
And we gotta take the trophies down off of the shelf

Remember what She Gypsy Moon has to say
Gotta gotta gotta gotta runaway.........
Time to move on to somewhere safe
Some where a little closer to happy LA !!!!!!!

LOve to all

gogo

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-29-06 14:22

Did you know that... in 1971, Fat Grapple were playing at the Locarno Ballroom in Sunderland, England. After the sound check, a guitarist, who was also playing the same evening in the jazz lounge, came backstage to talk to the 16-year-old violinist about his electric violin. The musician wanted to learn how to best amplify his viola. They never saw each other again..... until:

In 1978, during a casual conversation on tour with UK, Eddie and Allan Holdsworth realized that they had met before!!!!

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-29-06 14:32

That is cool. The (music) world is small isn't it? I realized this (again) when I went to The Blue Note in New York with a friend of mine a few years ago and when we were waiting outside a man walked by and said to my friend: hey, didn't we meet in Zoetermeer last week (Netherlands)?...

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-17-06 20:25

Did you know that... one of EJ's commercial scores, a string quintet with Pygmy voices (seriously!), was given a permanent place in the Museum of Modern Art in New York?

[From my post on the 'Where or when did you first hear of Eddie" thread]

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-17-06 21:30

Cool !
Permanent display is a heavy credit.

I love MOMA New York.
You can sit for HOURS in front of one of your
favorite works, and people are OK with that.

The San Fran MOMA does not have the same depth to it's collection.

Wondering if the Pigmy voices were from real live people around a microphone singing the score, of it this was done with Pigmy samples ?

Wondering if there will be examples of this type of Eddie composition
on the site, music that many fans are quite unfamiliar with..............

all good
Love

gogo

Reply To This Message

Author: yojimboakimbo 
Date:   08-24-06 01:53

The Thing about David Ragsdale is...............He's also a guitarist!!!!

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-30-06 23:01

Did you know that... Linda McCartney took a photograph of Paul sitting in the lounge of Air Studios, London with Eddie and Bryan Ferry. Unfortunately, as the teen EJ was not quite as famous as Ferry, the photo was cropped before being used inside the album cover of "Band on the Run."

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-31-06 00:22

Very interesting, and now I know why I've never liked that album - they left out the best bit!

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-31-06 09:36

Neat story, but WOW.

They cut Eddie out of the picture.
Right.
Yet Paul and Linda will include a picture of them taken
with some small African kids, even though the small
African kids are not FAMOUS.
OK.

love

gogo

Post Edited (08-31-06 09:37)

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-31-06 12:45

....Re: Eddie, Brian and Paul in the AIR lounge photo:.......you know, there is this attitude where "only the lead singer matters"....................it drove me CRAZY when I was kid, watching a great band on TV, and the camera is still on the lead singer's face when a fantastic solo is happenig.

We have all seen the world get even MORE on that bent over the last 20 years. In concert, people stare at the curtain waiting for the singer to come back during instrumental breaks. 200 years ago, they would have to look at that curtain for a loooooooooooooong time.................

And with American Idol, he SUPERNOVA and INXS TV shows................they don't exactly focus on auditioning keyboard players.

I guess people can relate to the human voice, and face, fine..................

But as far as Brian Ferry's fame compared to that of Eddie Jobson in the early 1970s, well, in many parts of the world, both were quite equal. I don't know anyone, at that time, who could have pointed to Paul and Brian Ferry and said, "hey, isn't Paul HIP by hanging with the guy from Roxy Music." Nobody around here had a clue.

It wouldn't have hurt to have included Eddie in that picture.

love to all

gogo

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-31-06 16:07

......on the bright side........
.......really neat that Eddie Jobson hung out with
Beatles guys at such an early age......pretty darn cool !

all you need is love
Gogo

PS: thank you WEBMASTER for providing more rant material..........

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-01-06 07:27

Summer days are gone.Today is September 1.
As for me,I have an ambivalent feeling at this fact. I see Helen's feelings.And I see gogo's feelings.
Honestly,the photo of small African kids moved me. Just rhe same time,I began to learn English at a high school.Black Bird takes up racial problem.
BTW,if the album jacket of Country Life hadn't been troubled,I would have listened to Eddie's play earlier.

Post Edited (09-01-06 07:54)

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-01-06 11:23

Yasu, your posts are beautiful. You are a so generous with your kindess.
You make the world a better place wiht your words!

OK, Paul McCartney, who opened many doors into modern music, has always been a hero to me, of course! And Linda, (the Mellotron advocate !)...well I could write a essay on how much I admire these people.

I first saw their picture with the small black kids when I was a small white kid. My reaction was "WOW! Those lucky kids got to meet Paul McCartney!"

I grew up on an Island that had a very small population 150 years ago, and has since built a modern socitey of respect and co-operation that could serve as a model for more troubled places.

When I did learn that something as ugly as racism does exist,
I also noticed how complicated this world is................

I believe that unless we wish for the world to be over-run with AMERICAN IDOL winners, we must preserve and exercise our well-established critical process.

Being that we know that at least ONE of the famous McCartney photos was cropped to suit whatever mysterious purpose, (to make the picture smaller?) and being that these pictures had no captions, we can only guess what political, or entertainment value they were intended to represent.

Some MAY look at the picture with the kids and react:

1) WOW ! Lucky kids met Paul and Linda!
2) WOW ! I bet those kids don't know WHO those tourists are!
3) WOW ! Billionaires hang with poor people !
4) WOW ! GREAT publicity shot !

Sorry to sound so cynical.
My guess is that Paul and Linda always had the best intentions in their hearts, for all to love and respect all.
But in a complicated world, it is reasonable to question powerful people.
In art, and business, it is heathly to investigate motives.

And besides, it FUN!

Peace and Love
Gogo

PS: still summer here on Vancouver Island !!
Cliff jumping into the river wheeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PSS: What is the story with the COUNTRY LIFE jacket?

Reply To This Message

Author: Dusty 
Date:   09-01-06 22:38

Yasu - here in the Southern Hemisphere - Spring is coming! Right Helen? In fact, it may already be here! (Although last year we were snowed-in during September, so I'll try and not get too carried away...)

The troubled Country Life cover? Ehh??? That's a nice album cover if I may say so. Very nice. Much nicer than, say, the Band on the Run cover with Paul and his mates - Muhammad Ali, Michael Parkinson, James Coburn etc.

You know what I'd like to see? The cropped bit of the photo with Eddie and Bryan at AIR. That would be cool. I love Paul but it's Jobson and Ferry who I would look to for Fashion tips in the hip stakes every time. The ex-Beatle could have standed some street-cred posing with members of one of the coolest art-rock bands of all time (Roxy).

BTW: Ferry came to Tasmania recently and I'm glad I went to see him. Dead centre, front row seat (I bought my ticket that night!) he looked and sounded fantastic - Bryan still has great taste in suits. Paul Thompson on drums (rockn!), Chris Spedding on gtr - great night.

O Webmaster (does it irritate you when I do that?), have you any tidbits from Eddie's spell with Roxy? Could you share??

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-03-06 22:04

Gogo,thanks. Your opinions are always to the point! Great, I'm glad to communicate with nice persons like you!

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-04-06 01:26

Yes, Spring is supposed to be here, but I'm still shivering, wrapped in my shawl.

Gogo, in some cases your WOWs do apply - all four of them simultaneously.

Yasu, I'm so happy to see your name here again! Welcome back!

Post Edited (09-04-06 01:55)

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-09-06 18:37

Did you know that... Eddie has no manager, no business manager, no publicist, and no agent?

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-10-06 00:14

I sort of thought that! I'm sure he doesn't even want a publicist or agent. And the other jobs he can handle better than anybody else anyway!

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-10-06 02:22

He has lawyers though :-)))

Reply To This Message

Author: klaatusuit 
Date:   09-10-06 03:38

and a webmaster ...?

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-10-06 12:19

....and excellent FANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gogo

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-14-06 17:46

Absolutely! Meanwhile.....

Did you know that... Eddie was going to make a guest appearance on Brian Eno's first (and last?) tour. EJ was to join the tour in Newcastle (England), but Eno suffered from a collapsed lung after a few days and the tour was canceled.

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-14-06 23:02

.........what the heck hey?
What year would that be ? I have no idea about any ENO stuff.

love

gogo

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-27-06 14:23

Buy a Nokia 8800 Sirocco cell phone and you'll get your Eno stuff... pffff... I guess Windows wasn't enough for him ;-).

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-27-06 20:55

Well, I remember reading a Green Album interview where Eddie says that he is going to manage the project himself "what is the point of paying 15 (?)% just to not know what is going on with your career?" (Something quite like that).

I thought, "OH NO!" at the time, because a composer, multi-instrumentalist, singer, band-leader already has enough to think about. And in terms of a performing rock band, unless the act is already REALLY established, I still think it is OH NO to not have a manager with some muscle in the bizzzzz.

Now, I guess if Eddie is not currently gigging, and he has strong enough connections in film and TV, well, why not be self managed? I think what he has now is called a team. He is able to reinvest a decent percentage of income, and not get shuffled into a politcal web of crud in the process.

But no agent.............wow, Ok, that is pretty wild.
Even the REALLY established rock bands have agents.

This puts a pretty big work-load on Eddie and his gang, the business side and paperwork alone would be a pile. Cool, why not hey ?

Neat that Eddie and his team can be so successful, and so independent.
Puts them in a much greater position to be non-compromising in the sea of crud.
Totally cool.

gogo

Reply To This Message

Author: Mizzy 
Date:   10-11-06 16:43

Well webmaster...did you know

Eddie comes from a place called Billingham, which is situated in the north east of England (get your map sites ready!) and, wait for it.... he attended the same school as I did.. Bede!... just ask Eddie and he will confirm I am sure. Ok we have that over with..... the school system we went to at the time (1971 in my case) was a 'streamed' concept of educational ability. If memory serves, it consisted of Davy (the bottom stream) Faraday, Brunner and Bede, the latter being the grammar stream.

Eddies Father was a head teacher if memory serves further, but I also remember Eddie being a bit stuck up, as many of us were in our younger days at Bede :)

Strange, but I never remember Eddie going to the local teenage haunt, that being Billingham Forum ice rink. Maybe he can confirm he was there, yeh or nay!?

Good to see you made many people in the music world happy Eddie.

God bless.

Chris

Post Edited (10-11-06 16:55)

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-11-06 17:19

Christina......... You seem to be including yourself and most of the student body of Bede as "stuck up". Was it such an exclusive school? Or was EJ, the classical violinist with the 'headmaster' father, particularly elitist, in your opinion?

Were you in the same grade as Eddie, and what can you tell us about his music reputation back in high school?

Webmaster

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-11-06 17:28

Gogo asked:

"What year would that be ? I have no idea about any ENO stuff."

From my understanding, it was Eno's first album/tour after leaving Roxy....... so it must have been Eddie's first year WITH Roxy, 1973 (?) Pretty neat the two of them would work together given the circumstances.

Reply To This Message

Author: potter 
Date:   02-24-07 01:41

Presumably there will be a credit to Matrix & Potter down the line? Be interested in what Matrix has to say although I haven't spoken to either Matrix or 'And' for some time ;-)

Reply To This Message

Date:   02-24-07 13:33

I was confused by this post at first, but I spoke with EJ and the writer was, in fact, the guitarist in Eddie's first school band "Matrix and Potter". Hello, Paul, and welcome to the forum. Eddie says he will drop you a note as soon as his time frees up.

Can you share any memories with us of EJ as a developing young musician and his friend's/school's reaction to him?

Webmaster

Reply To This Message

Date:   02-24-07 14:36

COOL !

OK Potter........story time...........

Reply To This Message

Date:   02-24-07 17:35

Fascinating! In naming their band, how did Eddie and Paul and their other bandmates anticipate two of the great franchises of the 1990s? And maybe Paul would have been on the Green Album, had Eddie known his phone number in the 1980s!

Ben

Reply To This Message

Date:   02-24-07 22:18

I still have a couple more items for this thread before I have to grill EJ again for more juice........

Did you know that... Eddie is the only composer of commercials to have a 'Best Original Score' Clio finalist or winner every year he was doing it - that's eight straight years.

Reply To This Message

Author: timmybass 
Date:   02-24-07 23:06

One year is impressive. Three years? One could say "lightning has struck thrice". Eight straight years? Two constants come to mind:

1) c (speed of light) = 1,079,252,848.8 km/h
2) EJ = insane talent * 1,000,000

Could we then hypothesize that EJ's fingers (right hand) travel at c? I dunno. Anyone have one of those speed guns the police use handy?

Reply To This Message

Date:   02-26-07 01:15

One of my most enduring memories is getting some material ready for the school folk club at Eddie's house. It was about 4am and we were sorting out some breakfast after a heavy night arranging when a new release came on the radio.

A keyboard piece that intrigued Eddie, he sat at the piano and, after a few moments thought, played the piece straight through. I believe it was called Love is Blue. If memory serves, we thought it would make a good piece for the folk club, arranged it for classical guitar and played it live 2 days later! Got a good reaction...

Reply To This Message

Date:   03-02-07 22:59

Thanks Potter... I love it. Keep those stories coming.

Webmaster

Reply To This Message

Date:   03-03-07 00:01

Potter.......Yes! Have had 'Love is Blue' running through my mind (off and on) now for days, since your last post, please more stories ! And then, the violin........

love

gogo

Reply To This Message

Date:   03-08-07 01:24

Apologies for the delay but if I tell you that Potter owns and runs a busy computer consultancy and has a handful of small businesses demanding attention perhaps it's understandable...

Eddie, if you want to take a look at the team on www.aaland.co.uk you might recognise someone ;-)

Not sure if we anticipated two great 1990's franchises in choosing "Matrix and Potter" but it was inspired, at least in part, by Beatrix Potter the well known children's author. There were three permanent band members and someone asked who Matrix was (EJ), who is Potter (me). Of course, the inevitable question, pointing at the third member, "What's he called?" Eddie and I both pointed at Keith and said that's "And"!

Reply To This Message

Date:   03-08-07 02:20

:-))

Reply To This Message

Author: Patric 
Date:   05-07-09 04:42

What a great thread! I followed a link here and realized that I've either forgotten reading this (not likely - there's great info here), or just didn't get this far when reading the site previously. After all, there are some prolific posters here...

I haven't thought about the song "Love is Blue" for many, many years. I recall it coming on the radio when I was a boy on a drive to my grandparent's house and I went nuts. This is the instrumental with a harpsichord and strings in it, correct? What a nice warm memory...

Thanks for the link to this thread!!!

Cheers, Bill

Reply To This Message

Author: editionsblue 
Date:   05-07-09 08:49

Yes its a great thread. Is is true that Eddie's dad was a headteacher who gave up to become a theatre director and if so had he been a head at the school Eddie attended?
Julie

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-07-09 09:51

Yes, awesome thread.
'Love is Blue'
Yes, the harpsi and strings, always loved that.
It still gets played on the "what's on" station on cable TV up here.
When it does, I stop EVERYTHING and crank it up.

It also works great on the banjo and kazoooooo.

.........now where is our next gig ?

love
Gogo

PS, love to Eddie's dad too.

Reply To This Message

Author: Patric 
Date:   05-08-09 03:59

Banjo and Kazoo!!!! Why didn't I ever think of that?? It's fiendishly brilliant!!!!!!!!!!

How about...an Oompah Band!!!

BTW, your next gig is in Massachusetts. See you there.

Bill

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-08-09 08:09

Thank you !
Together we build a better world.

All the popular classics sound good on a kazoooooo.
You just need a lot of breath,
and the RIGHT audience.

Captive audiences are the best....
...old folks homes, prisons......you know.
Good for the performer too,
cos that is where it is all going.

love
gogo

PS.....Did You Know That.......?

Reply To This Message

Author: Dicky 
Date:   05-08-09 09:45

Hello Julie,
Eddies dad was a head teacher, but not at the school Eddie attended.
However he was at the school my little brother and sister attended.
And Eddie's mother was a teacher at the school I attaeded!
But again Eddie didn't attend that school either.

Dicky

Reply To This Message
   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Go To Top 
 Go To Top  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org
Adaptation by Alex Petrov